Thanks to the 10 PAX that came out to Ruck Club today, I was inspired! Thank you to Bob Villa for stepping in for Disco Ball. Prayers for your dad Disco Ball! As always, Thanks to Pi for Coffeteeria!
Good Morning and thank you for coming.
I am not a professional, you are participating at your own risk. You are here voluntarily and you are not paying to be here. I know of no injuries so please be mindful of your limits and modify any exercise you need to.
F3 workouts are;
- free of charge
- open to all men
- held outdoors rain, shine hot or cold
- peer led
- Always ends in a circle of trust
Calve stretches IC
High Knees IC
Capri lap around the lot to the pavilion
10 Step ups, 5 each leg OYO
Arm circles 10×10 IC
- Ruck a little over 3 miles out of the AO through the neighborhood and into the Respect neighborhood. Stops for PT behind Tee Balls House, Storm Chaser’s House & Buckeye’s house. Some in beast mode carrying 20# & 30 # sand bags besides their ruck sacks!
- Mosey along the way,
- Stops for PT, (Merkins & Squats)
- 1 minute star gazing
- 25 leg lifts IC
- 25 Side leg lifts IC
- 25 Big Boys IC
- High Plank till recover recover.
May is Mental Awareness month.
It’s also National Military Appreciation Month.
I wanted to share a story about someone that served. This past week I read about something, that initially for a quick moment made me sad, but then quickly I became reflective and up beat.
Halloween, 19 hundred and 72 to just 12 days ago. Age 48 Thomas Lee Flangan went to meet his maker.
He was a husband, father to a 14, 13 and 10 YO. He was a doctor and a very humorous and funny guy!
I do not know the situation in which Tom passed, but he was able to write his own obituary before hand. Here are a few of the things that he wrote I thought worth sharing.
Here are his words;
“Well, that’s it. I have completed my shift as the great American cliché. In the spirit of what turned out to be my last New Year’s letter, my wild and crazy life has again taken a new, unexpected turn with my shocking and unexpected, yet fabulous, exit. Yes, I have joined the likes of Princess Diana, John Belushi, and Steve Irwin the Crocodile Hunter in leaving while still at the top of my game as an iconic superhero who seemed almost too good to be true.
It was a good run. No, a great run, but I can’t take all the credit. Fraternity brothers, medical school the United States Army, random cartoon characters, people who make memes, friends and family all contributed. As you know, my wife and kids are the absolute best. Please take good care of them like the priceless treasures they are.
I will admit that I originally got married for the husband jokes and had kids for the dad jokes. going to school events, dance competitions and eight zillion hokey practices at the crack of dawn really made a man’s life worthwhile. I also saw some other delightful things in my time here – Hawaiian volcanoes, Egyptian pyramids, and even the advent of air fryers. I will say, it was magical, all of it.
In case you’ve heard the rumors, I did dabble in a few other things along the way during my 48 years, like serving my country in combat on two separate tours, earning the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and saving countless lives as an accomplished surgeon and MD.
What was I to this world if not a beacon of light shining upon those who couldn’t scan the internet for their own hilarious and entertaining comic relief? I guess what I am trying to say is that you’re welcome and you owe me big time.
I know it’s impossible to believe, but I, the Ginger God of Surgery and Shenanigans, is riding off into the glorious sunset after re-enlisting with a new unit. Due to the unknown and cosmic nature of my next mission, this will be our last communication. It will self-destruct in five minutes. My whereabouts are now top secret, but let’s just say I have made some new friends by the names of Elvis and Kenny. The Church of Tom is closed for business, but please continue to worship me, light candles, and send money. You know the deal.”
- It made me smile, and has reached further than I’m sure he could’ve imagined.
- I don’t know Tom. Never heard about him til today, yet I mourn for him. Seems like he was an AMAZING human being!! Saddened his journey ended so soon, but at least he left awesomeness behind for Amy and the kids
- What a way to go out, on top, with a sense of purpose, a sense of humor, and a sense of LOVE to the highest degree. I actually am of the belief, especially after reading this, that we all should write our good-byes, assuming we have the time. I am not sure what possessed him to write it but am glad he did.
Go home today like it could be your last goodbye, hug your family friends and mend some fences.
Take a knee – Prayers for for our F3 brothers, Kristen Howard, John Rob, Disco Ball’s dad the Mothers no longer with us and their children still here with us!