Introduction – 55 degrees but probably a 20+ mph wind from the south.
Tappy taps – 10 IC
Imperial Walkers – 10 IC
Mosey around lot – high knees, butt kicks, shuffle, switch shuffle sides, karaoke, switch karaoke sides
Arm circles forward – 10 IC
Arm circles reverse – 10 IC
Mosey to the base of the east side of the hill with coupons
Thang 1 – 7’s and 11’s
Partner up for a Dora
Partner 1 runs the hill and does 5 SSH at top and runs back to swap out with Partner 2
Partner 2 performs the following exercises and then swaps with Partner 1 when they run from the hill – Cumulative reps
77 – Burpees
111 – Goblet Squats
117 – Skull Crushers
171 – Chest Press
177 – Curls
Mosey to field to the north of the hill
Thang 2 – 11’s
11’s with Merkins and Big Boys with lunge walk in between
Ring of Fire with 7 merkins
17 – Leg Lifts
17 – Scissor kicks
In F3, especially in the 1st F (fitness), we talk a lot about focusing on our weaknesses. As important as it is to focus on the things that limit our fitness’s acceleration, for us to truly accelerate in the 2nd and 3rd F’s (fellowship and faith) we also need to strengthen behaviors that we view as weaknesses. For me personally, listening continues to be a major area of focus and something I find myself needing to be very intentional at each day. To provide context on the types of listening, we will review the 5 levels of listening as described in Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective.
- Ignoring – The lowest level of listening is called ignoring or not listening at all.
- Pretend Listening – Pretend listening is most easily explained in a face-to-face conversation. You’re talking to the other person and they are clearing not focused on the conversation and they are liking saying things like “I see” and “OK.”
- Selective Listening – During selective listening we pay attention to the person as long as they are talking about things we like or agree with. If they move on to other things we slip down to pretend listening or ignore them altogether.
- Attentive Listening – Attentive listening occurs when we carefully listen to the other person, but while they are speaking we are deciding whether we agree or disagree, determining whether they are right or wrong. Instead of paying close attention to the other person, we’re formulating our response to what he or she is saying. At all four of these levels it should be evident that we are listening to our own perspective, and in most cases with the intent to respond from our experience.
- Empathic Listening – Empathic listening is the practice of being attentive and responsive to others’ input during conversation. Listening empathically entails making an emotional connection with the other person and finding similarities between their experience and your own so you can give a more heartfelt response. Also called active listening or reflective listening, empathic listening requires you to be considerate of the other party’s input. One main quality of empathic listening is giving support and encouragement rather than advice or criticism.
One technique the I learned in a training class is to score your listening throughout the day. After you have a conversation with someone, assign yourself a number. Where you ignoring (1), pretending (2), selective (3), attentive (4), or empathic (5). At the end of the day you can reflect on your overall listening effectiveness and dissect what is getting in your way of consistently listening at an empathic level.
To be a true HIM (High Impact Male), I strongly believe that we need to be very focused on empathic listening. This is how we can get into the hearts and minds of those around us and leave a lasting, positive influence.
Naked Mole Skin
- I was super gassed at the end of this workout. With the snow melting, lots of us have started using the hills again and its kicking my butt.
- Got total muscle brain during the namearama and said that we were at the Colosseum….Ugh!!!
- Wind was brutal and the flags unfortunately hit the ground a couple of times. Literally needed some duct tape to keep the flags from flying off the shovel.
- Pi fartsacked. No coffee.
- Thanks to Soccer Mom for having my 6 this morning